- Contact us today by phone at (800) 296-5113
- We will send you information to review
- Attend an information session to learn more about foster care and the process
- Fill out an application to become a foster parent
- Attend training and learn detailed information to help you in your role as a foster parent. Training is made up of 36 hours of education, CPR certification and First Aid
- Complete the home study process. This is the family assessment where you meet with one of our professional staff to help us get to know you and walk you through the paperwork process
- Obtain a license from the State of Ohio to be a foster parent
- A child is placed in your home
- You work closely with the case manager assigned to your home
Foster parents are required to have initial training of 36 hours. The training covers:
- Overview of Foster Care, Adoption, and Kinship Care
- Teambuilding: The Role of the Parent/Caregiver on the Child Welfare Team; Legal Rights and Responsibilities of Caregiver
- Child Abuse or Neglect and the Impact on Child Development
- Attachment, Separation, and Placement
- Discipline & Behavior Modification
- Cultural Issues in Placement
- Child Sexual Abuse, Mental Health Issues of Children in Care
- Effects of Caregiving on the Family
- Permanency Issues
- Educational Advocacy and State Rules
This training is offered on a regular basis at each of our Buckeye Ranch locations. Contact us for more information.
Once you are a licensed foster home, you will need to get ongoing training to help you in providing the best care possible.
Foster parents are required to obtain between 40 and 60 hours of continuing education every two years. The Buckeye Ranch provides ongoing training at each of our locations.
Foster parents are provided a stipend for all approved trainings they attend. Not only are you learning new parenting strategies to assist with children in your care, you get paid to learn!
697 E. Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
View on map
Offerings: Same Day Access, Outpatient Counseling, Diagnostic Assessments and Permanent Family Solutions Network
2440 Dawnlight Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43211
View on map
Offerings: Foster Care, Common Ground, The Bonner Academy at Rosemont, and Community-Based Programs